Luxury vinyl floors are a popular choice these days. These floors are water-resistant, durable, and look great (just like wood and tile). They are a great addition to any home’s décor because they’re gorgeous—and can keep looking as striking as the day they were installed IF you use these cleaning tips.
- Place mats and rugs by the door and in high traffic areas to protect the floor from dirt and chemicals that get tracked in.
- Train your pets to stop at the door so you can wipe their paws off before they come in.
- Attach felt pads to furniture to avoid scratches and damage to luxury vinyl flooring.
- When moving furniture and appliances, sweep the floor and place the furniture on cardboard to avoid scratches. Lift—don’t drag—the furniture and appliances as much as possible.
- Clean up spills as soon as possible to prevent stains.
- Keep your luxury vinyl floors looking like the day they were installed by purchasing window coverings (and keeping them closed when possible) to avoid fading.
Vinyl Floor Maintenance
- Sweep regularly with a soft-bristled broom to avoid scratching your new luxury vinyl floor.
- If you vacuum the floor, be careful to use a vacuum that’s gentle on hard flooring (talk to your local flooring pros if you’re concerned about warranty issues).
- Do not clean the vinyl floor immediately after installation; wait 48 hours (ask your installer for an exact time frame) to allow adhesives to dry before you mop the floor.
- Only use manufacturer approved cleaners so you don’t void the warranty (visit your local flooring pros to find out what cleaners are approved and purchase them).
- Use non-abrasive, gentle cleaners on luxury vinyl floors.
- Always sweep the floor before you mop.
- Vinyl floors are water resistant, but don’t use too much water as you mop. When you are finished, make sure there are not water puddles left on the floor.