We’re crazy about carpets for their durability and softness. But did you know that regularly cleaning your carpet can actually trap the allergens? We’ve compiled a list of fun facts that are sure to test your expertise about one of the most popular flooring options on the market today. Find out if you know these facts about carpeting:
- There are carpets made of that soda bottle you threw in the recycling bin. Millions of bottles are made into carpeting every year.
- Vacuuming your carpets for 30 minutes can burn more than 100 calories. (How many calories do you burn? Calculate here.)
- 70% of the more than the billion square feet of carpet produced in the United States is produced in Dalton, Georgia (the carpet capital of the world!).
- Carpets can be recycled.
- The stomach bug virus can live on your carpet for a month. (Ew!)
- Carpets were produced as early as 500 B.C. The oldest carpet ever found is more than 2,000 years old.
- Carpet is dyed through boiling or spraying. (Can you imagine?)
- The famous red carpet that you see at all the awards shows has its roots in a Greek play. The tradition was cemented by passengers of the 20th Century Limited train, who stepped off the train onto a plush, red carpet.
- Several pounds of soil can build up in your carpet every year. (Gross! Better call for a carpet cleaning today.)
- The longest sawdust carpet in the world (made in Guatemala) was almost 4,200 feet long!
How many of these facts did you know? Do you have any other questions? Let us know what questions you have about carpeting and carpet cleaning.