Are you one of the millions ready to treat yourself with the proceeds from your tax return? While that suggestion would leave many rushing to the spa, treat yourself by updating the place where the heart is, or at least where you spend most of your time—your home. So where do you start? Here’s a few ideas:
- Making your old carpets look like new. Even if you’re convinced there’s no way on this earth to get that stain out, give a professional carpet cleaner a chance. They’ll surprise you by removing those stains, or at least lightening them.
- Replace that nasty flooring you’ve always had it in for. Can’t stand the linoleum anymore? Are you tired of trying to get the dirt out of the imprints in that old 90’s geometric flooring? Say good bye. Come down to Y’s Way and pick out the new flooring you’ve always wanted.
- Updating your kitchen with a backsplash. You have so many options. Give your kitchen a facelift with an inexpensive backsplash.
- Two words: bathroom reno. And on top of those words, let’s add three more exciting words: increased home value. A remodeled bathroom adds value to your home, and creates a space you can be proud to show to your guests.
- New window treatments. Whether your motivation is to keep your toddler in bed, let you sleep in or help a third shifter relax during the day—or just to update those ugly curtains or blinds, come on down to Y’s Way to find blinds and curtains that fit your room and your purpose.
When you’re ready to turn that tax return into a new look for your home, like our Facebook page so you can watch for deals and ask questions about your home project. If you want to see your options or ask one of our experts, head into one of our three Y’s Way Flooring locations in Watertown, Lake Mills or Oconomowoc. We can help turn that refund into a treat that you and your house can enjoy.
Going down your gift list and checking it twice? Finding friends and family members on your list who are hard to shop for? Sick of giving gift cards? Look no further for inspiration. We’ve got practical holiday décor gifts for the hardest gift recipients:
- Carpet Cleaning for the cleaning fanatic, for the new homeowner or overwhelmed parent. As you can see, carpet cleaning is the perfect gift for quite a few people on your list.
- Blinds for the parent who wants to sleep in. Have a new parent on your list who is tired from waking up with their toddler every morning? Have some compassion. Purchase darkening curtains for their toddlers’ room so everyone is happy—and getting enough sleep.
- Window treatments for new homeowners. For a couple building a house or a friend or family member that just bought their first house, this is the gift that helps their budget and the look of their new house.
- Area rug for the owners of a new wood floor. Did your gift recipient just splurge on a new wood floor? Do you have a family member who is decorating a new nursery with a wood floor? Get a custom area rug made to protect their floor, and cushion their feet.
- Blinds for a new sun porch, or for just about anyone that wants to relax in peace. Need a gift for a dad, grandpa or anyone who loves to relax (or nap) in the sun room or enclosed porch? Or for a loyal TV watcher who wants the light but not the glare? Blinds are the solution for both problems.
- New carpet for that old bedroom carpet you ruined at your parent’s house. Did you leave behind nail polish and soda stains when you moved out? Replace that old carpeting in your parent’s house so they only have good memories of your time at home.
- Duct cleaning for the allergy sufferer. We’ll acknowledge that this is not the most glamorous of gifts, but for an allergy sufferer, the absence of sneezing, wheezing, itchy eyes and inhalers are the gift that keeps giving.
- Upholstery and/or carpet cleaning for the pet owner. Have a friend that considers their pet their baby? Make their carpet and furniture cleaner, while still safe for Rover and Prissy. Y’s Way Carpet Cleaners use natural cleaners that can eliminate the pet stains and keep their baby happy and healthy.
- A rug or flooring for the man cave. Does your man need a sound insulator for his new theatre room? Or are you tired of hearing yelling from his new sports space? Does he need a blanket to relax in his man cave? Look into new carpeting or a carpet remnant for his man space.
- New flooring to replace that tile, carpet or linoleum she hates. Your significant other has tolerated that old flooring for years. Bring a smile to her face by giving her the gift of carpet, wood or tile flooring that she likes.
The best news: you don’t need to run around to a ton of different stores to get the perfect holiday decor gifts. Just stop in at Y’s Way Flooring in Watertown, Lake Mills or Oconomowoc, and all your shopping can be done—a win-win for you and your hard-to-shop-for gift recipients.
Y’s Way can assist you with window covering recommendations and installations. Call 920-945-0522 for info.
Window treatments are important, but selecting the right window treatments is not earth-shattering. Don’t be one of those homeowners paralyzed by indecision, with naked windows and light shining in when you’re trying to sleep. Instead, use these general guidelines to find the perfect coverings—curtains or blinds, or both—for your window. Start with function, the basis of your window treatment selection:
Function. Do you need window treatments that darken the room? Or are your curtains or blinds just for decor? Are the window treatments for a window that you need to see out often? Start your selection by determining what kind of window covering functions best for your use. If you work third shift, or need a dark room for sleeping, consider a blackout curtain. Looking for privacy? Order blinds that come up from the bottom of the window, allowing light to shine through and privacy. Need a window covering for a window that you use often? Look for sheer curtains that won’t block the view. For a kid’s room, choose shades and darkening curtains to make sure the sun doesn’t interrupt nap or bed time.
Length. To determine the ideal length, use function and the aesthetic impact you want to settle on a length. If you want to make a ceiling seem taller, choose floor length window treatments—regardless of window height. If you have a window that has a table or counter under it, choose blinds or shades that are the length of the window but don’t touch the surface underneath. In general, use this window covering rule: when choosing curtain height to cover the window, purchase a curtain an inch or two longer than the window trim.
Neutral or pattern. To determine whether to purchase neutral or patterned window treatments, look around the room. If the furniture items, flooring and rugs are neutral, you can purchase a bold window treatment with a pattern. However, if your room is filled with bold patterns and colors, blend the curtains into the walls to make the rest of the room pop.
Don’t be afraid to consult the professionals for your window treatment decision. They can make recommendations based on what they’ve seen work at other local Wisconsin homes. Professionals can also handle measurements and installation, so you can enjoy the benefits of the perfect window treatments—without the hassles.