Keep those floors beautiful this holiday and all year.
As the old song says, “it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.” Unless you live in a box, you’ve seen the signs: the holiday lights on all the houses, Christmas trees on top of cars and trucks, and a full blanket of snow from Jefferson to Watertown to Fond du Lac and every Wisconsin town in between (and north). While the signs of the holiday are beautiful, they also wreak havoc on your floors. So how do you protect your floors from the joys of the holidays?
- If you’re getting a real tree, buy floor protection. Believe it or not, it’s not expensive to protect your carpet, wood floor or laminate from the watering that comes with a real tree. Buy a round, plastic protector from any hardware store so the water doesn’t damage your flooring.
- Rugs, rugs, and more rugs…and towels. If you have a laminate or wood floor, water from melting snow is the enemy. Keep rugs by all exterior doors for your guests and family to clean off their feet, and keep a towel handy to clean up any stray snow spills. If you have a dog, clean off paws before they enter the house.
- Carpet clean after the holidays. Get rid of the stains from Grandma’s wine and all your holiday parties as soon as possible so the stains don’t set in permanently. Don’t just rent a carpet cleaner from the local store—use a professional service that can get those deep stains out. If another family member is hosting the holidays, give them a thank you gift for all their work: a professional carpet cleaning.
- Protect your wood floors from scratches when moving furniture, tree and decorations. This is one of the cheapest, and most important, ways to protect your laminate and wood floors: felt pads. Make sure you have felt pads on the bottom of your chairs and furniture when shifting things around. Use caution when moving anything around to prevent scratches.
- Vacuum and dry mop regularly. Keep your carpet in shape with regular maintenance. Dry mop your hard floors, and sweep to keep the dirt and grime at bay.
If you can, ask your guests and family to take off their shoes at the door so snow and dirt doesn’t get tracked through the house. If you have any questions about protecting your floors, or about new flooring to replace damage, contact Y’s Way for assistance. Just remember: a little bit of prevention goes a long way toward keeping your flooring gorgeous through the holidays and into the New Year.
Start your wood floor research here, and enjoy the benefits of wood later!
Hand-scraped. Engineered hardwood. Oak. Bamboo. Cherry. Dark. Light. There are so many beautiful wood flooring options that can enhance your décor, but there are reasons beyond looks that make wood floors an excellent option for any home. It may not be the start of school yet, but let’s put on our glasses and research our wood flooring facts and advantages:
- Durability. Want long lasting? These floors can take it and make it for a long time. Some wood floors have even celebrated century birthdays. If you have kids and pets, hand-scraped floors can hide the wear and tear that come with an active household, and laminate wood floors are known for their durability. When solid wood floors or engineered hardwood do scratch or fade, they can be refinished and look like new—for a long, long time.
- Easy to clean. Forget about pulling that heavy vacuum cleaner out. Don’t invest in a carpet cleaner. Wood floors are easy to clean and require few cleaning products. Beware of steam cleaning your wood floors, though, as there are some definite reasons to proceed with caution.
- Ideal for allergy sufferers. Because they are easy to clean, it’s easy to clear the dust out of your home—a clear advantage for those allergic to dust and dust mites. Carpet can also work well for allergy sufferers, but they need a deep clean on a regular basis.
- Eco-friendly. Bamboo and cork flooring, for example, are a renewable resource. Unlike other woods, cork is not harvested and the bark grows back in less than a decade. Bamboo is also considered a green product.
- Warmth. Hardwood floors can not only bring a warm and cozy look to your home, but engineered hardwood and laminate can also be installed over radiant heating. Radiant heating is energy efficient and gives any room an even heat, along with other practical advantages.
- Increase the value of your home. Because of all the advantages listed above, wood floors are highly sought after by buyers and can increase the value of your home.
Wood flooring is not invincible (watch out when humidity and water are involved!), but they are great option for any home. Choosing the option and price that’s right for your home and lifestyle takes a little homework, but the benefits (and look!) are well worth the research. And just like school, don’t forget to ask for help if you need it!