Yes, it’s that time of year again. Back to school shopping is complete, and the kids are ready to head out the door. Your mudroom is full of backpacks, loads of fall sports equipment, and all the cool weather gear that comes with your kids back in school. It’s official. Your kids are headed back to school. What do you do now? And how do you get your house to stop looking like a tornado hit it (or like your kids lived in it all summer)?
We’ve got five suggestions to start with, and to get your house back in shape after a summer of fun:
- Carpet cleaning. We’re not talking about those rental carpet cleaning units. We’re talking about a real, professional deep clean that revives your flooring and removes allergens from your carpet. With winter coming in a few months, this is an ideal time to rid your home of those allergens before you are trapped inside for the whole winter. And because the kids are out of the house all day, fall is an ideal time to move all your furniture out of the room you need carpet cleaned, and move it back in before they have to go to bed.
- Organizing your mudroom. You’re ready for the onslaught of school stuff, but is your mudroom? Could your morning routine be smoother if all that gear was more organized? Would a well-organized mudroom solve some of your storage issues? Use our blog post to plan and arrange your mudroom for maximum efficiency.
- Duct cleaning before winter. On average, people spend about 90% of their time indoors…and breathe in dirty air full of dirt, dust, mold, pollen and other gross particles. Before you’re enjoying time inside this winter, improve your air quality by getting your air ducts cleaned. This can be especially true for households with asthma, allergy, pets or smokers.
- Refinishing your wood floors. If you refinish your floors, or have your wood floors refinished, while the kids are in school, you don’t have to worry about finding a way to entertain them (at least not for the majority of the time). You can also let the floor dry without fear of little feet or hands getting messy…and you get a beautiful, protected floor out of the deal.
- Cleaning your wood, vinyl, tile and laminate floors. It’s also easier to clean your hard floors when there is not a pet around. Nothing interrupts a floor cleaning than a kid wiping out on a wet floor or a pet running through at mach speed. If you need any tips on how to tackle cleaning those hard floors in our recent blog post.
If you need any tips for cleaning your floors, want to schedule a carpet cleaning appointment (or wood refinishing appointment) or need information for replacing worn floors, contact Y’s Way. We’ll help ready your home for the cool weather and all that school gear, and make it look like your kids didn’t spend a crazy summer in your house.
Wisconsinites, it’s the time we’ve been waiting for all winter! Our cabin fever is gone because spring is here. The subzero temperatures (hopefully) are gone. With the warmer temperatures of spring comes lots of outdoor time and (drum roll, please)…the much anticipated (or dreaded) spring cleaning. That’s right, it’s time to air out the house and give your home a deep clean that goes beyond your regular vacuuming and house cleaning. So where do you start your spring cleaning? We’ve put together a handy spring cleaning checklist to help you get through your deep spring clean:
- Call Y’s Way for professional carpet and floor cleaning. (We wouldn’t recommend steam cleaning your wood floors. Read why here.)
- Clean your appliances.
- Remove spider webs.
- Wash window.
- Dust ceiling fans and wash light fixture coverings.
- Clean blinds and curtains.
- Clean the top of cabinets.
- Clean tile grout in your shower, on your floor or on your countertops.
- Powerwash your house.
- Clean heating and air conditioning vent.
- Wash comforters and quilts.
- Clean fireplace stone/tile and mantle.
- Clean sliding door tracks.
- Scrub down showers.
- Dust inside of cabinets.
If you or someone in your family has allergies, add duct cleaning to your list. An annual duct cleaning can remove all the allergens that circulated throughout the winter, and give your allergy sufferer some relief if they have to stay indoors for the summer. Call Y’s Way to set up your appointment so you can finish your spring cleaning checklist and start enjoying our fantastic spring temperatures.
Going down your gift list and checking it twice? Finding friends and family members on your list who are hard to shop for? Sick of giving gift cards? Look no further for inspiration. We’ve got practical holiday décor gifts for the hardest gift recipients:
- Carpet Cleaning for the cleaning fanatic, for the new homeowner or overwhelmed parent. As you can see, carpet cleaning is the perfect gift for quite a few people on your list.
- Blinds for the parent who wants to sleep in. Have a new parent on your list who is tired from waking up with their toddler every morning? Have some compassion. Purchase darkening curtains for their toddlers’ room so everyone is happy—and getting enough sleep.
- Window treatments for new homeowners. For a couple building a house or a friend or family member that just bought their first house, this is the gift that helps their budget and the look of their new house.
- Area rug for the owners of a new wood floor. Did your gift recipient just splurge on a new wood floor? Do you have a family member who is decorating a new nursery with a wood floor? Get a custom area rug made to protect their floor, and cushion their feet.
- Blinds for a new sun porch, or for just about anyone that wants to relax in peace. Need a gift for a dad, grandpa or anyone who loves to relax (or nap) in the sun room or enclosed porch? Or for a loyal TV watcher who wants the light but not the glare? Blinds are the solution for both problems.
- New carpet for that old bedroom carpet you ruined at your parent’s house. Did you leave behind nail polish and soda stains when you moved out? Replace that old carpeting in your parent’s house so they only have good memories of your time at home.
- Duct cleaning for the allergy sufferer. We’ll acknowledge that this is not the most glamorous of gifts, but for an allergy sufferer, the absence of sneezing, wheezing, itchy eyes and inhalers are the gift that keeps giving.
- Upholstery and/or carpet cleaning for the pet owner. Have a friend that considers their pet their baby? Make their carpet and furniture cleaner, while still safe for Rover and Prissy. Y’s Way Carpet Cleaners use natural cleaners that can eliminate the pet stains and keep their baby happy and healthy.
- A rug or flooring for the man cave. Does your man need a sound insulator for his new theatre room? Or are you tired of hearing yelling from his new sports space? Does he need a blanket to relax in his man cave? Look into new carpeting or a carpet remnant for his man space.
- New flooring to replace that tile, carpet or linoleum she hates. Your significant other has tolerated that old flooring for years. Bring a smile to her face by giving her the gift of carpet, wood or tile flooring that she likes.
The best news: you don’t need to run around to a ton of different stores to get the perfect holiday decor gifts. Just stop in at Y’s Way Flooring in Watertown, Lake Mills or Oconomowoc, and all your shopping can be done—a win-win for you and your hard-to-shop-for gift recipients.
Yes, it’s that time of year again in Wisconsin. The time when the temperature starts to consistently jump above the freezing mark, and you start noticing all the cleaning that needs to be done now that you can go outside without your face hurting. Things like washing your windows, cleaning your oven, getting your flower beds ready for planting…
There is one project that not many people add to their spring cleaning lists—the project that you don’t see a need for, because you don’t see them—CLEANING YOUR AIR DUCTS. The irony is that even though you don’t see them, there are definite reasons to clean them:
- Indoor allergies are often caused by poor indoor air quality. Cleaning air ducts results in cleaner air for anyone in your household that suffers from allergies—or any kind of respiratory illness.
- Dirt, dust, mold, pollen and animal dander recirculate though our air ducts every time we turn on our heat or air conditioner. Combine this with moisture and you have the ideal breeding ground for fungi, germs and household mold.
- The average person spreads 90% of their time indoors. With that number being so high, your indoor air quality is even more important.
Whether your dirty air ducts are in Hartford, Columbus, Watertown or Waukesha, give Y’s Flooring a call. We can help you mark that spring cleaning project off your list, so you can breathe easier.